Crowd-pleasing camping recipes
Who says you have to only eat hot dogs and Kraft Dinner on a camping trip? We've upped the anti and have compiled a few easy-to-make camping meals using the Hastings Overland tailgate kitchen gear. With a bit of advanced preparation, you'll soon be eating delicious and nourishing meals around the fire.
SOUL-WARMING MORROCCAN STEW
- 1 can of lentils
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 diced onion
- 1 chopped bell pepper
- 1 diced sweet potato (1cm cubes)
- 1 chopped zucchini
- 1 clove of garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 chunk of fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil (can substitute other oils)
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder (add more/less to taste)
- Water as needed
- Salt and pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot on medium heat
- Add sweet potato and onion, cook until almost tender
- Add zucchini and peppers, cook until tender
- Scoop veggies to edges, add remaining oil and sauté the curry powder, garlic and ginger until fragrant
- Add lentils and crushed tomatoes
- Bring to a simmer, adding water as needed (depending on if you prefer a thicker/thinner stew)
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Dish out and enjoy!
* serve over rice or with naan bread for those in need of a more filling meal after a day of adventures!
FIRE-Y FLANK STEAK (OR BLACK BEAN) FAJITAS
- 1 lb of flank steak (sub large can of black beans for veggie friendly option)
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 can of corn
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne (omit for those who don’t like spice!)
*can replace spices with a sachet of taco seasoning for a quick cheat!
- 2 ripe avocados (sliced)
- 1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
- Shredded cheese (desired amount)
- Salsa (desired amount)
- Plain Greek yogurt (desired amount)
- Soft tortillas of choice (can use lettuce wraps instead!)
- Heat pot
- Rub steak with oil, then salt and pepper it, cook on griddle until desired doneness. Remove and thinly slice.
- In same pan heat oil, then add pepper and onions, cook, stirring often until soft
- Push veggies to sides, add a spot of oil and stir in spices for 1 minute, before combining into veggies
* if using taco seasoning, combine directly into veggies
- Add the corn, and add the steak back to the pot, stirring until coated with spices
* add black beans here if making vegetarian
- Top tortillas with steak/veggies, avocado, salsa, greek yogurt, cheese, and cilantro
* replace tortillas with lettuce wraps for a gluten-free alternative!
- Roll em’ up, and get messy!
MEDITERRANEAN BREAKFAST FRITTATA
- 1 tomato diced
- ½ onion finely diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 2 big handfuls of spinach chopped
- 8 eggs
- A generous chunk of feta
- Bunch of fresh basil
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Generous pinch of oregano
- Grainy bread (optional)
- Heat half of the oil on the griddle on medium
- Whisk eggs with ¼ cup of water and some salt, pepper and oregano.
- Sauté onions and peppers until soft. Add spinach, stir until wilted. Stir in tomatoes.
- Turn heat to low, add the rest of the oil. Pour egg mixture evenly over veggies. Crumble feta on top. Leave it until egg is cooked through.
- Serve topped with roughly chopped basil and a piece of grainy toast!
TABBOULEH LUNCH BOWL
*prepare ahead for a lunch on the go!
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 large bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 4 large leaves of kale, chopped and massaged with 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Handful of pumpkin seeds for some crunch!
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons of hummus or tahini
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
* add water as necessary to reach desired/pourable consistency
- Hand-massage kale with olive oil until soft
- Combine all salad ingredients in bowl
- Stir all dressing ingredients until smooth
- Pour dressing all over and give a good mix!
- Divvy up into containers for later on the road or at a mountain-top picnic!
Serves 4 or more
- 1 package of graham crackers
- 1 package of marshmallows
- 1-2 of your favourite chocolate bars
- 2 bananas, thinly sliced
- 1 jar of peanut butter
- Roast marshmallows over the fire until golden brown
- Once marshmallow is ready, place desired amount of peanut butter on 1 graham cracker, followed by desired amount of chocolate and 2-4 banana slices
- Place marshmallow between the graham cracker with peanut butter, chocolate and banana and another graham cracker like a sandwich
- Eat and enjoy!
COWBOY COFFEE HOW-TO
- Stir 2 tablespoons of finely ground coffee and a tiny pinch of salt* into 8oz of boiling water
- Allow this to sit for a few minutes before drinking to allow the grounds to settle to the bottom of your mug*
- Note: leave that last sip of coffee, unless you’re alright with a mouthful of grounds!
*A pinch of salt helps bring out the flavours of the coffee and reduce bitterness
*Best served with a generous splash of Bailey’s!
Recipes created by Zoë Cristiano